A separation, believe it or not, doesn't cancel out your ownership of debt from a loan taken out during the marriage. If you are contemplating a divorce, or believe one is impending, then these few steps may just save your credit.
1. If possible, close any joint accounts you and your spouse own before the divorce. This will prevent either side from creating a debt once divorce proceedings begin.
2. Create separate accounts whenever and wherever possible in place of the joint accounts. This will make sure you won't have to rebuild your credit post-divorce, because you will already have it!
3. Build new lines of credit with lenders and transfer an agreed upon amount of funds into those accounts.
4. If creditors refuse to cooperate with you, it may be a good idea to have legal counsel at hand.
5. Pay whatever bills that held jointly and then go after your spouse for the money owed on debts.
If you need competent divorce representation in Orange County, California, please contact us so that we may evaluate divorce case. We are skilled family law & divorce attorneys that get results. With the Orange County divorce attorneys located in Tustin, CA you can rest assured your divorce needs will be protected.