Dream act lawyers California – Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors

Dream act lawyers California - What is the Dream Act?

The Dream Act or Deferred Action for Childhood arrivals

What is the dream action or deferred action for childhood arrivals? "I-821D"


Dream act lawyers California - Bettina Yanez

Dream act lawyers California - Bettina Yanez

The dream act has given illegal immigrants in the United States hope for a better future. The dream act stands for Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors. The DREAM Act gives endless and equal opportunities to illegal immigrants, who may have entered the United States illegally but are more familiar with this country than the one they left.

This is a discretionary prosecutorial process that will defer removal proceedings for individuals who were brought to the U.S. by their parents or other relatives at a young age, have attended or are in school and do not have a criminal history. While your case is deferred you will not accrue unlawful presence. If your deferred action is approved you will be eligible to receive employment authorization for the period of deferred action, as long as you can show “an economic necessity for employment.” The Department of Homeland Security can terminate or renew deferred action at any time at the agency’s discretion.

The Obama Administration made the Dream Act a reality on June 15, 2012. This act will benefit more than 800,000 young people across the United States in changing their legal status. The DREAM Act will “lift the shadow of deportation” from young illegal immigrants and give them an opportunity to create a better future without the constant fear of being deported. The DREAM Act is available for the following immigrants:

· Entered the United States before the age of 16;
The documentary evidence to show you entered the U.S. before age 16 can consist of medical records such immunization records, hospitalization records, school attendance records, financial, employment and military records.
· Have lived in the States for at least five years
· Are in school, are high school graduates, or are military veterans in good standing
The documentary evidence you will need to prove that you are currently in school or have graduated will include, a diploma, a GED certificate, report cards, school transcripts and military discharge papers and military health records

· Under the age of 30, you will need a certified copy of your birth certificate;
· Have clean criminal records
The submission of Affidavits alone will not be sufficient as proof that you meet the criteria listed above for consideration of deferred action for childhood arrivals but you can submit affidavits to supplement where documentary evidence is not available or to fill gaps in the time for five year residence. Dream act applications can be filed on August 15, 2012, don’t delay file today. If you are denied an appeal will not be available therefore I strongly urge you to obtain experienced competent legal assistance in completing your application for deferred action.

What immigration advantages can you get due to the DREAM Act?

The Dream Act permits you to get a form of relief described as “Deferred Action”, which basically gives you two valuable benefits:

1. The Dream Act prevents your deportation. This Dream Act relief is for a provisional, two-year period. Following the two-year period, most probably, you could reapply for or otherwise extend the Dream Act deportation relief.

2. The Dream Act will allow you to get a work permit “known as an Employment Authorization Card”. The work permit, through the Dream Act, would allow you to acquire a social security number and apply for a driver’s license.

What the DREAM Act is NOT

• The Dream Act is NOT a green card or a path to a green card
• The Dream Act is NOT U.S. citizenship and doesn’t lead to citizenship
• The Dream Act will not allow you to travel outside of the United States


Where can I get the dream act form/application?

The form is I-821D, Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals and it can be downloaded from USCIS FORMS starting August 15, 2012

For further information regarding immigration issues such as the Dream Act, please contact the immigration lawyer in Orange County at 714-971-8000. Call today for your free 60-minute consultation!

Disclaimer: California Family Law Attorney Disclaimer