Need help Finding the Best Child Custody Attorneys in Orange County
It is not easy finding best child custody attorneys. Legal cases are never simple or easy and it doesn't get much more stressful than custody cases.
You want what's best for your child and family.
By now, you've probably figured out that it's very important to meet with the best child custody attorneys in Orange County, CA to discuss your case and protect your rights.
But how do you find them?
After you understand how the custody process works, you can think about how it applies to your unique case.
From there, you can meet with a qualified attorney to go over your options.
How the custody process works
Child custody cases have changed a lot over the past few decades.
Since both parents typically work full time, gender is not a deciding factor when determining child custody.
Instead, the courts decide what is in the child's best interests which usually ends up being some type of joint custody agreement. This is because it is best for the child to spend equal amounts of time with both parents.
Sole custody usually isn't considered unless one parent appears to be unfit to care for the child or could pose a risk to the child's wellbeing.
Types of custody
During your case, you will negotiate a custody agreement with your spouse. If you can't seem to reach an agreement on your own terms, a judge may make the final decision.
The final agreement could include a combination of the following conditions:
- Joint custody: The child spends equal time with both parents.
- Sole custody: One parent is responsible for the child full-time.
- Physical custody: This refers to where the child lives. Parents may share physical custody or one parent may have sole physical custody. If one parent has sole physical custody, this does not necessarily mean the other parent cannot spend time visiting the child.
- Legal custody: The parent with legal custody is responsible for making important decisions concerning the child's education, medical care, and even religion. Once again, parents may share legal custody and cooperate on important life choices or one parent may have sole legal custody.
Tips for meeting your custody goals
The courts don't care about small arguments and petty details. They just want to figure out what's best for the child.
In order to meet your goals, you need to demonstrate why you're a great parent.
- Be willing to cooperate with your spouse. Don't speak badly about them in front of your children and stay civil in the courtroom.
- Request an in-home visit from a court representative or child care worker. Make sure your child has their own room.
- Make an effort to spend as much time with your kids as possible. Go to school events and make frequent phone calls.
- Do whatever the courts ask. If they are concerned about your parenting abilities they may ask you to take classes or seek counseling. Just do what they ask without arguing.
- Have a dedicated attorney on your side. A lawyer can help defend your rights – especially in the case of an emergency. Are you prepared to deal with domestic violence or substance abuse allegations in front of a judge?
How to find the best child custody attorneys near me in Orange County, CA
Many people hesitate to seek legal representation for child custody cases.
Some people may not want to appear aggressive while others may not think they can afford an attorney. Some people believe they fully understand their own case and do not need a lawyer.
Entering a courtroom without representation is a mistake. Lawyers know all the ins and outs of the court system. They know how to speak in a language the judge will understand so you're more likely to achieve your goals if you have legal representation.
You're probably asking, "how do I find the best child custody lawyer near me?" Here's how to find the best child custody attorneys in Orange County, CA.
Do your research
Check out local attorney profiles on LinkedIn or talk to someone you know who has gone through the process before.
Do you need a lawyer with special experience in certain areas such as domestic violence? Make sure you find an attorney who is willing to understand your personal situation and has gone through similar cases in the past.
Keep it local
If you're asking "how to find the best child custody attorneys near me in Orange County, CA," then you're asking the right question. Keep it local.
You may find an attorney a few counties over for a lower rate, but it may not be worth the savings. Local attorneys have developed relationships with the local courts and they understand all the local laws. Plus, a local attorney is more likely to be available in the event of an emergency.
Don't go with your first option
Most law offices offer free consultations. Conduct a few interviews to see which local attorney is the best fit for your case.
Start out with three and then narrow it down. Don't go with the first person willing to take on your case.
Remember the red flags
If you meet with a lawyer who feels comfortable bragging about their high-profile cases, run for the hills. This type of information is confidential and shouldn't be discussed with anyone.
You also want an attorney who listens and takes the time to learn about your goals and feelings. You don't someone who thinks of you as just another number.
Is there a child custody lawyer near me?
Child custody cases are always stressful and emotional but they don't have to be overly complicated. You need someone on your side to help defend your rights. By now, you're probably wondering "is there a child custody lawyer near me?"
Yanez & Associates can help. We're available 24/7 to take your call and we offer free consultations. Give us a call now at 714-971-8000.
Table of Contents
- 1 Need help Finding the Best Child Custody Attorneys in Orange County
- 2 How the custody process works
- 3 How to find the best child custody attorneys near me in Orange County, CA
- 4 Is there a child custody lawyer near me?