How is Child Custody Determined in a Divorce?
In what ways can child custody be determined in divorce?
There are essentially five ways in which child custody can be determined during a divorce.
1. Child custody can be agreed upon by the parents on their own.
2. Child custody can be agreed upon with third party settlements.
3. Child custody can be decided during mediation between the parents.
4. Child custody may depend upon the outcome of a custody evaluation.
5. Child custody may be determined by a judge during trial.
There are 4 possible results of a child custody dispute.
Sole custody to the mother, sole custody to the father, joint custody, or a variation under special circumstances which would fall into an "other" category.
For more information on child custody laws in California, contact the Orange County custody lawyers.