Putting a Child up for Adoption: Finding Your Child’s Other Birth Parent

What is Community Property?
After an Annulment

If you are attempting to find your child's other birth parent to tell them that you want to put your child up for adoption, the following are some things you can try.

-You can attempt to contact the other birth parent of your child at his/her last known address with a certified letter complete with your return address.
-If the other parent has moved from the last known address you have for them, you can write 'Do not forward. Address correction requested.' on the envelope and if returned, the post office will give you any forwarding address.
-You can call the phone directory for the city that you think the other parent may have moved to
-Contact any mutual friends or their family members to get information on the pther parent's whereabouts
-Search the internet for any possible information
-See if there is any information at the Department of Child Services in your county, especially if you have filed for child support before
-Check any voter registration records in the county where the other parent lived/lives
-Consult with the Department of Motor Vehicles for any information
-Contact a private investigator

You need to keep a detailed record of all your attempts to contact and locate the other birth parent including dates, times and the results of all your efforts. These records might be useful in getting the court's permission to move forward with your case for filing for adoption. If you are unable to contact the other birth parent then the judge will need to see that you've tried everything possible to get their consent to put your child up for adoption. If your efforts were clear then the judge may let you release your child to adoption even though you don't have the other birth parent's permission.

What is Community Property?
After an Annulment

Comments are closed.